Monday, May 9, 2011

The Diaper Bag Conundrum

I've gone through a lot of diaper bags in the last four years. My first was a matching set of Eddie Bauer bags -  the daily tote and the weekender bag. Next I opted for a similar option for my second child and only daughter and bought a large and small version of a black bag with pink lining, and even tried one of those diaper bags that is made to double as a purse. Third we were gifted a diaper bag from Sears and bought another Eddie Bauer bag that was somewhere between the size of the small tote and the weekend bag.

The worst of these bags was the one from Sears. It looked big enough to hold things but the design was poor and nothing fit in the pockets, and its only closure was magnetic so when the bag toppled over, the contents spilled out. Second worst were the black and pink bags I bought for my daughter. They had NO pockets, just big totes with zipper tops. I always had to dig for what I wanted and frequently lost pacifiers through a hole that resulted when I tried to wash the bag thanks to all the milk that spilled in the bottom of it.

The Eddie Bauer bags were all the best, but none were great in my book. They hold up fairly well to a washing machine and they have pockets and adjustable straps, but the accessories are limited and they have the look of a bag made for a daddy, not a mommy.

So now that I've decided to cloth diaper the search is on for a good diaper bag. I did a Google search for bags made for cloth diapering parents and found some amazing handmade bags with matching wet bags for the dirty diapers and matching changing pads too. They're great because the whole thing can be thrown in the washing machine and look the same as it did before being washed. The downside is, of course, the price. They start at around $60 and go up from there. Since I'm the kind of gal who struggles to pay more than $20 for any single item, I'm pretty sure the handmade cloth diapering bags aren't for me.

I'm afraid for what I'm looking for I'm going to have to lay down more cash than I'd like to. I have a long list of must-haves for my bag:

Must be large enough to fit enough diapers for a newborn and toddler, plus wipes, a wet bag for dirty diapers, a nursing cover, snack bags for 3-4 children, a bottle, sippy cup and possible juice boxes for the older two, a change of clothes for the newborn, a light receiving blanket, burp cloths, a changing pad, a pacifier pod, items to keep children entertained (teethers, toy cars, crayons) and preferably my phone, wallet and keys.

Must have a secure closure such as a zipper, no ties or magnetic closures.

Must be machine washable.

Must be small enough to not look like I packed my entire house up and carry it over my shoulder.

Must have an adjustable shoulder strap.

Must not look hideous!

Extras I would love: changing pad, wipes case, wet bag, pacifier pod, insulated bottle holder, hook for keys, external pockets and a million dollars. (Had to throw that last one in there.)

Have you seen a bag like that? Me neither. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage finding a diaper bag that holds items for four children and doesn't require me to also carry a purse.

My thoughts were interrupted by my daughter throwing up all over her bed, so since it has been two hours since I started this blog and I've been scrubbing a mattress, I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment